Monday, August 30, 2004

A FEW THINGS ABOUT THE ARTS

The conversation on the Resonate mailing list is touching on the Arts today...

A few things about Art.

It is the nature of the arts to inspire, to open a window in the fabric of our immediate reality.

There is the way it is viewed, and how it impact us, and the way it is "used" to create a specific response from us.

On the latter, I have these terms I came up with in my reflexions:

I believe in the prophetic nature of artistic expression. I find usually that if I bring a pen and paper at church and spend time on it, I come out with more revelation that if I just sit there and enjoy the view.

I also believe that a lot of who I am is embedded in the art I make. Not just always sure how to decipher it, but I can feel something of my own soul in what I do.

The powers of the world and the powers of the Church use the artist to create tools of propaganda as well as the tools that reinforce their particular "Matrix."

Art is substance of revelation. From the seed of revelation grows the outward manifestation of that word in the substance of an artistic medium.

Artist have much further to go than cater to the present agenda of people who lack the vision and leadership to open a way for people to pursue their exploration of the soul of God, individually and corporately.

No comments: